Saturday, February 20, 2010

Did you eat paint chips as a child?

Name the movie!

I have decided that after 3.7 years of living in this house and after obsessing over Young House Love.com, I'm finally going to decorate it to my taste! We haven't done much since we moved in. In fact, I just hung pictures up on nails that existed from the previous owners! We did upgrade our counter tops about a year and a half ago and put in a pool last summer... so we are doing something, just not decorating. Our counters were a huge improvement, so now I'm ready for paint!

Yesterday Rylan, Tatum and I made a trip to Home Depot (which Rylan can say clear as a bell now) to pick out a few paint samples. Behr has a new paint that is a paint and primer in one. Totally worth the extra money! Unfortunately, all the colours I chose for our house, aren't the 2-in-1 paint colours. Oh well! While perusing umpteen colour choices with my young decorating team, I came up with a brilliant idea. The paint and primer combo paint had really nice samples. They are big, and just one colour per sheet. They have little holes punched out in the corners and supply rings so that you can clip a few of them together and make one of those little books that designers always have. Anyway, onto my brilliant idea. I picked up a few vibrant and obvious samples, like blue, red, yellow, orange, green and black. When we got home, I clipped them all together and wrote what each colour was on each one. Rylan has already been doing really well with her colours but I thought this was a good way for her to associate the colour with the word. It may be a little early to start this kind of learning... but the kid's a genius! Just like all kids are to their parents! She knows the alphabet, even out of order. I can write a random letter or number on our chalkboard and she can tell me what it is. She struggles with G and Q, but c'mon, she just turned 2! I'm so proud!

4 comments:

  1. What a clever idea, Paula! Younghouselove.com is awesome - I hope to see lots of decorating posts on here!

    And of course it's Tommy Boy! Fat guy in a little coat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ding, ding, ding! Tommy Boy is right!
    My decorating is going to be an extremely slow process unfortunately. How about you? You get your new house soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Sofia at almost 3 is bad with colours but I have never spent any time with her teaching her them so it's not a surprise. Of course she knows that her favourite is purple & pink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rylan's favourite colour is purple too! Before she knew colours everything was purple. We would purposely ask Rylan what colour something (purple) was in front of people to make her look super smart ;)

    ReplyDelete