Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I've been sew busy!

Once again, it's been way too long since I last posted. I won't make any more promises about posting more regularly since, let's face it, it will just be broken. I have been occupying my precious 2 hours a day without kids (between their bedtime and mine) with a few sewing projects!
I love sewing! Even though the only formal training I received was in my grade 8 Design & Tech class. We made a pencil case...
When I was pregnant with Tatum I decided to make myself a nursing cover. A friend of mine had one and paid almost $50 for one from a specialty baby shop. I decided that I wanted one so I could feed Tatum anywhere and not have to worry about exposing myself. That's when I began my search for the perfect fabric. I decided on this nice Amy Butler pink and white floral cotton.

I added a lining to keep the baby nice and cool and I also added a piece of boning between the two straps so that the cover bows out and baby is visible while I nurse. I was and still am quite proud of it and use it more than any other baby thing I have, excluding my boobs of course! After so much use, I realized that a couple of added features would make this cover even better. I have been making a few of these for friends and friends of friends lately and have since added 2 terry cloth pockets to each bottom corner. They're great for keeping breast pads/soothers in while feeding and the terry cloth works wonders for wiping away milk mustaches!

Here are some pictures of ones I have made recently... (all out of high end designer fabrics I might add!)
Terry cloth pockets

Rectangle rings - adjustable strap

Some finished projects! Nicely bundled with washing instructions.
(Nothing crazy, wash in cold water, low heat dry or air dry and iron if necessary.)
Please excuse the disgusting water stains on my ironing board!

Anyway, I'm out of projects for now, but I did buy the CUTEST fabric to make some throw cushions for the girls' playroom when it's finished! I think it will be a while... we're stuck at the drywall stage! Here is the fabric I just bought from www.etsy.com (I love this site!!)

I'll be sure to post the finished projects! I was thinking about using red for the backs, maybe with white polka dots!

4 comments:

  1. Your work is awesome, Paula! I'll have to show those nursing cloths to my sister - she'll be needing one come May! I can't wait for us to move to our house and hopefully I'll have lots of room to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashlie! I find it really relaxing... well until the machine jams up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work Paula! I too bought the $50 nursing cover like your friend and loved it. Your fabric choices are wonderful and the craftmanship is outstanding. I just checked out the website etsy.com and loved it. I think I could spend all night on that website looking at all of the unique items for sale. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those covers are BEAUTIFUL! I have never used a cover, I was never interested... However your covers are pretty enough to make me want one! Great work!

    ReplyDelete